BOYLAN, Burt Aaron & BEHM, Mary Emma
Born 26 March 1879 in Deer Creek Twp., Mercer County, PA; son of Edward S. and Esther Ann Mumford Boylan. Died 31 August 1961 in Cambridge Springs, Crawford County, PA. Married Mary Emma Behm 1878 in Trenton, Mercer County, NJ. Mary was the daughter of George and Mary Reading Behm of Trenton, Mercer County, NJ.
Burt came to Crawford County In 1894 when his family moved to a farm in Venango Township. After several years of successful farming, the family moved to a smaller farm along the bank of French Creek just outside of Cambridge Springs, PA.
Burt graduated from Edinboro Normal School in 1896, earning a Teaching Certificate, and taught in a one room school in Venango Township between 1896 and 1898.
His ambition was to become a doctor and work with the mentally ill. He spent eight years pursuing this goal, joining the staff at the State Hospital in Warren, New Jersey and later transferring to the State Hospital in Trenton. While in Trenton he met and married Mary Emma Behm and their first child, Esther, was born.
In 1916 Burt’s career plans changed and he returned to Northwestern PA where he secured a position as station agent for the Northwestern Pennsylvania Electric Transit Company. He worked first in Edinboro, where a second daughter, Elizabeth, was born, and later in Cambridge Springs. It was while working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at the Trolley Company that Burt decided to buy a small 18 acre farm south of Cambridge Springs. Because of his long hours it was necessary for Burt and the two oldest boys, John and Bill, to do most of the farm chores by lantern light. A third son, Burton Joseph, was born after they moved to the farm; he drowned while swimming in French Creek at the age of 18.
In 1918, Burt joined the Springs First National Bank as an assistant cashier. He stayed with the bank until his retirement in 1951. During that time, Burt became a cashier, director, and vice president of the bank. His duties at the bank left him more time to pursue his passion for farming and he raised fine quality farm produce for sale and home consumption.
He was a life-long resident of Cambridge Township and Cambridge Springs, Crawford County, PA and was active in the Methodist Church, masonic, and civic organizations.
Mary devoted her life to being a mother and homemaker. She was an active member and leader in the Cambridge Springs Methodist Church. Burt and Mary celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1956 at their home on Spring Street in Cambridge Springs.
Burial was at Edinboro Cemetery, Erie County, PA.